"Caterham" REDLINE 0W40/5W50 blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sample below has been shipped to Blackstone this morning:

I will update this thread with the results.
Christian

SNAKE-OIL !!!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Hi Christian.

As I mentioned in your Red Line 10W-40 thread, RL has reformulated of their oils with the heavier grades now being quite a bit lighter.
The 5W-50 is a lot lighter with a 5.0cP HTHSV down from 5.9cP of the old formulation. Do you know if the 5W-50 you've bought is old stock or the latest version?
The 0W-40 has the same 4.0cP HTHSV although the VI is lower at 190 and the KV spec's are a bit higher.

I don't know how much a VOA is going to tell us that we don't already know about RL.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Hi Christian.

As I mentioned in your Red Line 10W-40 thread, RL has reformulated of their oils with the heavier grades now being quite a bit lighter.
The 5W-50 is a lot lighter with a 5.0cP HTHSV down from 5.9cP of the old formulation. Do you know if the 5W-50 you've bought is old stock or the latest version?
The 0W-40 has the same 4.0cP HTHSV although the VI is lower at 190 and the KV spec's are a bit higher.

I don't know how much a VOA is going to tell us that we don't already know about RL.

Hi CATERHAM,

I doubt any traceability is effective buying the RedLine products on line or through Amazon as I do...

The shipment date date is what I have left...and the full order came in three different shipping dates (from three different shipping location and consequently from different batches?)...!!!

I then understand at this point, the SUS Viscosity @ 201*F and the cSt Viscosity @ 100*C are not telling anything to you, is that correct?

Is there a risk that the HTHS becomes lower with this blend versus their 10W40 I am currently using?

Christian

There is a printed number on the bottom of RL bottles which I suspect if you contacted Dave at RL he would be able to tell you if it's old or most recent version.

The KV100 spec' may give you an idea of what to expect but the bottum line is HTHSV (bearing viscosity) which correlates directly with oil pressure.
The RL 10W-40 you're using now has a HTHSV of 4.7cP which is why your OP is somewhat higher than the M1 15W-50 (HTHSV 4.5cP) you used previously.
If you have the new lighter version of RL 5W-50 I'd only blend with about 20% RL 0W-40 to give a 5W-50 with a net HTHSV of about 4.8cP and about the same hot OP that you have with the 10W-40. Or go with about 35% 0W-40 to give you a 4.6cP oil and a hot OP closer to what you had with M1 15W-50; the oil your engine builder recommended.

But first do give RL a call to see if can determine which 5W-50 you have.

Thanks CATERHAM,

Apparently 2 batches:
Number on the bottle 63077
Number on the bottle 62339

And email was sent to Dave...
Christian

Originally Posted By: miami993
Thanks CATERHAM,

Apparently 2 batches:
Number on the bottle 63077
Number on the bottle 62339

And email was sent to Dave...
Christian

Just got the answer from Dave:

"Christian,

Those products would both be the latest product with a HTHS viscosity of 5.0

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil"

Christian

I'm surprised (and GLAD) to see that much boron in the Red Line products.

The TBN is also right at where Dave always claimed it to be as well.
thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif

It's going to be difficult to decide if I want to use the Red Line, or Mobil 1 0W-40 for my winter OCI mix with the Sustina 0W-20.

How much boron is in the M1 stuff??

I realized the link to the VOA was broken, then here is the result from the 50% 0w40/50% 5w50 Redline blend.

One thing I am curious about...what SAE grade this blend would be consider at...2.5w45???

Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back